Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Deceit

Do you ever fall into a pit and fit it hard to climb your way back out? It's a horrible place to be, and you stay for a while before you realize you are there again. Then you run to the Rescuer, and maybe it takes running to Him, away from the pit, more times than one, before you understand that He has rescued you. Again.

I find myself in that pit every now and then. Each time, I can't believe I fell in again. My pit is dark and depressing, full of the evil one's deceptions. They take over my life, and they're incredibly personal. They build on pieces and parts of my past and seem horribly true. But I don't want them to be, and I struggle against them. Until I start living as if I believe them, unaware that the lies are swallowing me. Again.

I am reading a book called The New Eve, by Robert Lewis. But I had put it down for a while, for the holidays and the busyness, and when I picked it up again, it was timely. I am reading about how Eve was deceived by Satan, into thinking that there was something better out there than what God had planned for her. Eve left that tendency to us, you know. Well I know. At least the part about being deceived by the evil one.

John 10:10 calls him a thief who comes only to steal and kill and destroy. Sisters, the evil one wants to destroy our lives, and he is working at it. Especially when we've given our hearts to the King. That's when he looks for anything, little snippets of our past. Something hurtful someone said that we remembered. He can build on that. Reinforce it. Make it feel true. When it's not.

But Christ has come. For us! The rest of John 10:10 says I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I've heard this verse so many times in my life, but right now, I'm experiencing it. The Rescuer is alive and at work, and HE overcomes the evil one. Will you run from your pit, along with me?

Psalm 31:2 Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Blog on girl! I'm adding you to my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true,Ang. The devil knows where our weaknesses lie. And he picks at them by telling us lies he might believe. But he isn't called the deceiver for nothing. He is good at it. That is his nature, to lie. I pray we will recognize his voice when we hear those lies and rebuke him in the name of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie! Wow, how powerful. Thanks for sharing. Your beautiful words will make my meager attempt at writing look pitiful...but blog on and I will read on!!! If nothing else this blogging thing seems to be good therapy for me. Will add you to my list!!
    Still missing you guys!!

    ReplyDelete