Monday, February 16, 2009

A Life Lived Well

I have tried several times over the last couple of weeks to post something, anything, just to stay alive in the blog world. And while I have several drafts sitting in the queue, nothing seems post-worthy.

I had a friend, and she was much like me. A wife, daughter, mommy, sister, friend, lover of God... She entered the hospital a few months ago and gave birth to her 3rd baby. She had been in a considerable amount of pain, and we had been counting down the days until his arrival, assuming the pains would go away.

But instead. The course of her life changed in a day. Precious baby came, but the pain didn't go away. It increased. Multiplied. Like the cancer throughout her body. A long, dark road opened up, and she and her family were forced to walk on it.

We prayed for a miracle like never before, knowing full well that she was in the hands of our Lord and Savior, the One who gave us life and determined when each of our earthly lives would come to a close.

On Friday, the road took another turn, and Kristi went to meet Jesus. I am having a hard time believing that this friend who I spoke with several times a week just a few months ago is no longer with us. Tomorrow, I will attend her Memorial and a graveside service. I'm sure that tomorrow, it will be real.

Today, I'm spending time learning from her life. She inspired me to so many good things, each one bringing me closer to the Maker of my soul. Today, I realize I've just witnessed the ending of a life well-lived. There is only a legacy left behind now, but it's exactly the kind of legacy I would hope to leave behind in this world.

God used Kristi to bring Him glory while she walked on this earth. I don't think she knew the extent of her godly influence on all those she rubbed shoulders with.

Through Kristi's life and death, God is teaching many of us more about trust, and even misplaced trust. He is causing us to love our loved ones better and reach out to those we meet in an effort to point them toward Jesus. He is reminding us that we are not guaranteed 80 years on this earth, but that we have today, and we need to live our time well. He is teaching us about our priorities, our goals, our desires. Reminding us what is perishable and what is not.

Kristi had an urgency about wanting people to know Jesus and wanting believers to live the life God offered them. She found creative ways to reach out to people, regardless of her stage in life. She was as real and human as any of us, and yet she loved Jesus and loved to talk about Him. And I never once observed in her a love of material possessions.

I am unable to record here all the admirable things about Kristi. But that's not what she would want anyway. The reason for Kristi being such an amazing person was that she was sold out--on fire--in love with--the Lord Above.

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16, NIV

Be strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord's work, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. 1 Corinthians 15:58, NLT

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple. I Psalm 27:4, NIV







1 comment:

  1. Ang, this is a beautiful tribute to Kristi. Praise God for her life lived well and with purpose in front of us all! We grieve her loss with you.

    ReplyDelete